Sunday, April 22, 2012

Week 15 - Fix Computer and Clean

So this week was fairly uneventful due to a time sync of fixing a family member's computer. Ugh I hate doing these. I only do it now for friends and family, but I don't think anyone who doesn't do this realizes just how much time goes into this.

I could have done an Arduino thing this week as well, but the weekend and spring cleaning got the better of me when I wasn't working on this laptop. Also there was an emergency dog sitting tonight as our neighbor was rushed to the hospital, and that kinda of diverted my time here where I am finding myself type this up as fast as I can. Just hoping everything is alright with neighbor.

So yes the laptop, basically I have been putting this task off for a few weeks now. Family/friend Larry had his laptop's hard drive go down. I went to install a new drive and realized the potential hell of going through finding and installing drivers for it was going to be a real pain. I started the install and found the Ethernet even after the drivers not working ... great I saw this project getting worse.

I then remembered I happen to have a much better laptop I was no longer using anymore. It was just lying around collecting dust. Another friend claimed dibs on it 2 months ago and never called back, and after leaving many messages, I figured it was time to pass it on to someone who was going to really appreciate it. The nice thing was, that all the OS was installed, but it needed driver and OS updates. It also needed a major cleaning as Larry was not going to need half the stuff I had on it.

So I started initial clean on Monday. The week went and I picked up the work again on Friday night, most of the day Saturday and Sunday afternoon. Let's just say there were issues and the Microsoft updates took forever as well as updating the antivirus and cleaning out my files.

Happy to say in the end - this XPS laptop beast is running very smooth and has everything Larry needs to enjoy his new system.

Other than that - got more cleaning done around the house, and hopefully next weekend I'll get a chance to work on the backyard and maybe even the boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment