Friday, January 13, 2012

Week 01 - Progress Update


Well so far so interesting. Definately learning some things and I discovered how messy staining can get. With purchasing a plain board with the lines drawn and the holes already drilled, I am starting to see where I would do things differently with staining.

For starters, I would start with a board with no holes punched at all. this way i can first control where those holes go as apparently some moronic machine or machinist can't drill in-between the lines. More importantly, when staining, the holes create build up of the stain causing unwanted saturation of color around the hole area. So staining before the holes are drilled would give a more even finish to everything.

The other real pain with staining it the specific areas I am trying to color in. Stain itself is very fluid and like to seep in and spread beyond the desired areas. I discovered fast that using Q-tips really help but it was a lot of work watching and maintaining the areas with little results in the end on the stain. I have an idea i plan to try tonight based on making spaghetti sauce of all things. That's right, I'm gonna add a little corn starch or flour to the mix to thicken it and hopefully control it.

That's all for now, and the picture now shows the original on the left and it's progress on the right. Not a mockup this time but the real thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment